The flavors of Thai food are sweet and spicy and sour. Pretty much flavor explosion all in one. All you need is organic apple cider vinegar, raw honey, coconut milk, and a few yummy spices. And then I have this Thai basil from my friend’s garden gifted – she always kind gives me yummy herbs when she has too many.
And so, when wanting one of those Thai-inspired dishes, I enlisted that basil plant, a can of coconut milk, and some good chicken to help me out. Flavor explosion minus the fuss? I’m in.
Thai Basil – Coconut Chicken
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil or lard (from foraged hogs) for frying
- 1 lb. chicken, bone and skin removed
- 2 cups chopped vegetables: bamboo shoots, zucchini, bell peppers, sweet peas
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 can full-fat BPA-free coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 4 limes
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves, cilantro, and/or lemongrass lightly packed, plus a few extras for garnish
- salt to taste
- Jasmine rice to serve
- In a medium skillet or saucepan heat coconut oil or lard over medium heat. Cut chicken into 1″ pieces and place in hot pan. Sear for a couple of minutes or until golden brown, turn, and sear the other side.
- Add cayenne, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and vegetables and stir into chicken. Pour in coconut milk, honey, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar and simmer, stirring occasionally, for approximately five minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat, stir in basil leaves, cilantro, and lemongrass, and season with salt to taste.
- Serve over Jasmine rice, ladling sauce generously. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4 oz (assumes 4 oz of chicken and .5 cup of rice)
- Calories: 330
- Protein: 29.1 g
- Fat: 9.7 g (Saturated Fat 5.6g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1, Monounsaturated Fat 2.0 g)
- Carbohydrates: 32.3 g (Fiber: 4.9, Sugar: 12.6)
- Cholesterol: 70.2 mg
- Sodium: 230.6 mg
- Potassium: 591 mg
- Eating Strategy Friendly: Low-fat, Gluten-free, South Beach (Phase 2, 3), Alkaline, Blood Type (Blood Group O),
To your health!
Your Goals + Our Design = Get You Fit